Tinkers and Gypsies in Glorantha?

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 96 00:06 MET DST

Speaking of smiths, and remembering the travelling smith proposal made some time ago, I wondered about the blade-sharpeners and repair-men roaming the country, and then also accompanying entertainers, sooth-sayers, travelling wise-people, etc.

I don't know when the wagon-nomads within mediaeval Germany entered or originated, but there were quite a variety of them, nomads living in a wary symbiosis with a sedentary society. They provided services no sedentary community could support over the entire year and gathered the produce of sedentary life they could not make themselves. (Outside of larger cities these people did become sedentary, now and then, and formed so called cities of thieves.)

Is this how the majority of the 3rd Eye Blue people live? Are there other such people around? Who fills their role in Kethaela?

Smiths, on the other hand, were rarely allowed to travel freely. More often skilled crafters were bound in severe ways to a community, with the ham-strung smith (to prevent him from wandering away) appearing not exclusively in the Wayland legend. (In other cases, great sculptors were blinded or otherwise maimed after having produced a masterpiece, to keep it unique...)

I doubt that the less civilized people of Sartar would use these measures, but in more civilized areas the above-mentioned practices could well be encountered. Even so, few Sartarite chieftains would welcome the departure of a good crafter, and would try to make him a part of their household instead. (Using the standard arguments like pretty young women to marry, a strip of land to use, a seat among the gesithmen, or some hostage-like means.)

PS: I reject the Yellow Flag from Martin Crim. I did quote myself, which I shouldn't have, but otherwise I could have paraphrased in about twice the volume and half the accuracy Nick had replied. If Loren had waved it, maybe... I'd have appreciated comment from Martin, though, rather than clogging up the digest. Be it in private mail (as well as any flaming).