Sartarite attitudes to Lunar Cults

From: Simon D. Hibbs <simon_at_fcrd.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 14:50:47 +0100 (BST)

 On Sartarite attitudes to conversion to Lunar cults :

IMHO many of the Lunar missionaries in Sartar are likely to be of Tarshite stock, or to have spent at least some time in Tarsh. They will be familiar with Theyalan culture and mores and so will appear much less 'foreign' to your avearge Sartarit than a heartlander. Cults such as Etyries, Irripi Ontor and Yanafal Tarnils have their origins in Theyalan culture. I don't think 'Lunars' like these would be considered any more foreign than a Heortlander, or certainly an East Ralian. Sure, the Lunar heartland commanders and Legionairs are realy foreign, but most Sartarites would never actualy meet them, though they would see them around. It's the old Hard Man/ Soft Man routine. All the high-ranking possitions in the main temples would be usurped by Tarshite or Tarsh-influenced collaborators.

It seems to me that most Player Characters are extremist religious fanatics compared to the average Sartarite. This is understandable as it is prety much all we know about our character's background when it is first generated. The rules produce 'Humakti' and 'Orlanthi' Adventurers, they don't realy produce Sartarite hill tribesmen that spend most of their lives herding sheep, but have had a bit of militia training. Most are quite capable of understanding the similarity of Irripi Ontor and Lankor Mhy so long as it is explained reasonably.

As for tarring the Lunars with the same brush as Broos (ie they are chaos monsters), this is laughable. Everyone will know about the wild shepherd in the neighbouring clan that turned out to be an Ogre (yeuch), or the village further down the valley that have had a shrine to Malia since the outbreak of fever a few summers ago, of course the local Chalana Arroy Acolyte is scandalised, but has been unable to do anything about it yet. Are the neighbouring clan all considered to be Chaos Monsters, or the inhabitants of the village? Of course not, though they will not be well liked.

If I remember correctly, the Sartarite clan cheiftan that was converted to the Red Goddess was orriginaly an Uroxi who fought a guerrilla campaign against the Lunars. My point is that before he is an Uroxi, even before he is an Orlanthi, he is a human being. That means he is fallible, he can be misslead and he can be corrupted - er, I mean enlightened as to the benefits of Lunar Culture for himself and his people.