blinding/darkness/fear/trolls

From: Simon D. Hibbs <simon_at_fcrd.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 15:55:05 +0100 (BST)

ian (i.) gorlick:

>David Cake:
>(Please excuse the long quote)
>> Think of it like shades - I think Blinding blocks more sense than
>>just sight. Primal Darkness, like Subere, blocks all senses - its an
>aspect
>>of primal darkness (remember, there is freezing cold numbing touch and
>>smell, etc.).
>> Trolls regard it as a gift from darkness that they have senses
>that
>>continue to work in places were Darkness is strong (such as dark places
>and
>>cold places), but they know that real darkness removes them as well.

>I think, David, that you may be on the right track here. If EXTREME
>Darkness blocks all senses, not just sight, then the Blinding spell
>becomes reasonable. Perhaps it should be a stackable spell, with each
>application numbing another sense until the victim is locked in total
>Darkness and experiences the fear and wonder of Primal Dark. Perhaps,
>instead of being specifically targeted against sight, Blinding knocks
>out sight first (being a light based sense) or it knocks out whichever
>is the primary sense of the victim >first (i.e. if cast on a troll, it
>might knock out Darksense/hearing first).

Darkness seems in Glorantha to be associated with the emotions of fear and hunger, the two most primitive emotions (with lust as a close third, though that is more associated with earth powers). That is apropriate as darkness was the first and thus the most primitive element.

Darkness and light have been bitter rivals ever since Yelm's (albeit forced) invasion of the underworld. If Yelm had struck down Orlanth, perhaps Darkness and Air would have been pitted against each other. Certainly, Air was the last element to be formed and so lies at the `other end of the spectrum` from darkness. As it is, light and dark have perfectly good mythical reasons to be opposed in Glorantha.

Simon Hibbs