End of the Second Age

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 1996 12:04:11 +1200

Alex Ferguson:

>On this Second Age calamity business in general, it's an interesting
>question as to how influenced one should be by the generic pattern of
>end-of-age upheaval. In particular, how much are second age cultures
>with little or no conract with the Big Two affected? I had to think
>about this when trying to construct an outline history for Vormain,
>and typically enough, produced a compromise which produced adverse
>comment from both "sides" of the above argument.

Without going into a blow by blow account of how each civilisation was changed, the important thing is to remember that the end of the 'age' took a long time: 920 ST to 1120 ST is the most popular reckoning. A comparable change that exists in the real world IMO is to look at the effects of an Assasin's bullet in Sarajevo upon Europe and to a certain extent, the world.

Glorantha-wise, I would say the major change that was experienced by most maritime cultures at the end of the second age was the Closing. Can't get anything more dramatic than that! Pamaltela is a wee bit more complex. The destruction of Kalabar, the Six-legged Empire, the Umathelan God Learners and Errinoru's Empire are drastic enough to be have an effect on just about every culture in Pamaltela to be considered by them the end of an era. I suspect that more than one of these events was interlinked with the destruction of the others but I know too little about the chronology to hazard a guess (ie when did the Six-legged Empire fall?).