Full Moon Glow

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 1996 13:43:31 +1200

Simon D. Hibbs:

>My friend said that he believed that inside the glowline, the moon is
>always full. This makes little sense. [...] The moon is inherently
>cyclical, surely this should be apparent throughout the empire?

It was stated in Cults of Prax that the Moon is always full inside the Glowline. However this is being gregged along with the statement that it is visible only within the Glowline.

>My sugestion was that the glowline bounds that area under the moon from
>which at least some of the light side of the moon is always visible.
>[...] It is this continuity that provides the benefits gained by lunar
>magicians inside the glowline.

While it is a nice idea, it seems to me that the Glowline is dependant on the Temples of the Reaching Moon rather than upon the height of the Red Moon. The glowline does fail sometimes within the Lunar Empire and I don't think this causes the Red Moon to bounce like a yoyo. Also the Temples of the Reaching Moons were created during the war against Sheng Seleris which implies that the Red Moon is not dependant on the Temples for height.

IMO the Glowline is caused by the Temples actually manifesting the Lunar Glow upon earth. They gain their powers from the Red Moon but are also reliant on synergistic radiations from Glamour (perhaps the orientation of the moonrock prism to turn [I almost said phase - -shift] the lunar radiations from its current state to Full Moon Radiation?).

I have also read somewhere that doubts are cast that the Glowline _simply_ confers the ability to cast Lunar Magic at fullstrength. I think that the effects of the Glowline would be much stronger at Glamour than Tarsh. I also believe that the current phase of the Red Moon has a strong effect on certain lunar magics (beyond what can be cast on the table in GoG).

>BTW on the shape of the moon rune (Two rounded halves with a line
>down the middle). Have I got a dirty mind, or does anyone else
>think this is remeniscent of the meaning of the term 'to moon'.

Nick Brooke has proposed this for the Baboon PoV about the Red Moon. Whether this actually disproves the possession of a dirty mind, I cannot say.