Middle-aged hangups.

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 96 13:23:22 BST

Sandy writes, intoxicatingly:
> Dwarfs are the only folk in
> Glorantha that I can think of (offhand) who have invented distilled
> liquor such as whiskey or vodka.

Isn't it Received Wisdom that the Lunars have gin? Whether it's actually distilled or not is another matter. Or maybe they have the Mostali mass-produce it.

Sartarite whisky is too obvious a cliche' to pass up. "Another drop of the 12 year old Starfire, Snorri?" "Aye Siggy, just a quick schnort." Of course, they could get by on Inora's Brandy (apple wine fractionated by partial freezing).

Joerg is "hung up on The End of the Second Age":
> Actually, because Sandy said you could heroquest (if not time-travel) across
> the border of an Age. This does have some importance for my campaign,
> especially wrt cultures whose borders might vary.

I think that's a confusing and arbitrary way of looking at it. Rather there being some sort of HQ no-entry zone at an "Age" boundary, what is more reasonable is that when there's been some sort of cultural "paradigm shift", to gain access to the magic of Bygone Days requires more strenuous efforts -- such as, some sort of HQ -- whereas this would be redundant, and hence effectively meaningless, in the case of intact historical traditions. To say that it's magically a Good Thing that your civilisation fell apart N years ago, is counter-intuitive, and yeah, bass-ackwards.

The least said about HQ as time travel, the soonest mended. I refer here to the bones of any perpetrators I get my hands on at Convulsion.

[Second Age calamity, cock-up or conspiracy?] Peter M.:
> Without going into a blow by blow account of how each civilisation was
> changed, the important thing is to remember that the end of the 'age'
> took a long time: 920 ST to 1120 ST is the most popular reckoning.

This is a good point, and one I should have thought of, as the aforesaid Vormain "end of 2nd age" I arrived at was a distinctly off-median one. This doesn't mean, though, that it has No Mythic Signifance, by any means, just that MythSig in this case (surprisingly enough, as in all the others), doesn't manifest itself in bozoid D&Desque Nice Neat Plainly Manifest Distinctions.

> A comparable change that exists in the real world IMO is to look at the
> effects of an Assasin's bullet in Sarajevo upon Europe and to a certain
> extent, the world.

I disagree with this, as age-changes are fairly often seen in fairly independant places. The three (or so) different Empires in the 2nd age managed to fall apart pretty much separately, not as the result of a single Magic Bullet or First Cause.

Alex.