The Assasin's bullet

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 1996 13:19:05 +1200

Alex Ferguson:

On the end of a second age:

Me>> A comparable change that exists in the real world IMO is to look
>> at the effects of an Assasin's bullet in Sarajevo upon Europe and
>> to a certain extent, the world.

>I disagree with this, as age-changes are fairly often seen in fairly
>independant places. The three (or so) different Empires in the 2nd
>age managed to fall apart pretty much separately, not as the result
>of a single Magic Bullet or First Cause.

Who knows? The age-change events that we know about could be akin to the RW events like Serbia defies Austria-Hungary, Russia mobilizes and Germany invades Belgium. The 'Assasin's bullet' may not be known to us but may have had a profound influence on Zzabur's decision to cast the Closing Spell, Karvanyar's decision to slay the Dragon Sun or even (I'm making this up BTW) the Six-legged Empire's decision to release a new type of insect pest.

An example of the 'Assasin's bullet' for the first age would be the Sunstop. The Second Age one would not have been so blatantly obvious but its effects would have been apparent as in 'The lights are going out across Glorantha. They may not be relit in our lifetime. To ensure that [insert enemy here] never _do_ get the chance to relit them, we will unlease [insert major curse here] against them!'.

This is however assuming that the Assasin's Bullet does exist.