Orlanthi virtues

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 15:28:00 -0700

Orlanthi can get violently passionate about more than Lunars.

 Our East Ralians, brave warriors of the Belovaking clan, HATE Naskorion. We have been encroaching on their land for years, and therefore we need to teach them a lesson! And the Naskori are evil because they worship Arkat.

Our honorable and proud warriors, good family men of noble rank all, turned into viscious killers attacking a town of Naskori farmers. We attacked the town as a decoy, to draw their thanes out of their fortified towns. We clamored over the walls at midnight, and whacked men, women, and kids to bits if they got in our way. (Jornast encountered particular trouble from an old woman with a frying pan.) Dissappointed that there was nothing much to raid, we then fired the town, all because they worshipped Arkat.

Vargast found a woman who spoke the Trader's Talk, and had her translate our demands - to bring us all their hidden loot. After explaining they were only poor farmers with no loot, they asked us why we had done this.  (We were still celebrating.) They were appaled to hear that we thought they worshipped Arkat - they worship Saint Orlanth and Ralia!

To which Vargast the Eloquent replied: "Oh. I'm terribly sorry about the attack, then. Nevermind." The rest of us just figured that "Saint Orlanth" was a trick or a twisted Arkati demon.

We then went on to spectacular success under the leadership of Ekel Field Destroyer. He trapped a whole army on the plain, surrounded it with our chariots, and destroyed it. We took lots of prisoners, and ransomed them back for HUNDREDS of cows. The Bishop and Thane brought the most cows.

We don't believe the farmers, though. We know their bishops and thanes worship Arkat. So we will raid them again next year. We will kill the farmers because their leaders worship Arkat. Then we will ransom their leaders back for cows.

We are honorable Orlanthi! With all those cows and his battle glory, our thane Ekel became king of the whole Riagos tribe. As for those traders from over the mountains who worship the Moon and her son the Drunken Emperor - they will bring US the wine next year!

Pam