Re: Sartar and Lunar

From: Bibishar_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 22:49:49 -0400

Martin King begins:
> The Lunars claim some sort of religous and moral high ground with
> their worship of the Red Goddess.
> At the same time they are unwilling to propose those arguments without
> introducing an army into Sartar.

I'm not sure I follow your train of thought here. How does what you describe differ from what many Terran nations/empires have done? As I understand it, bringing Christianity to ignorant Africans was a big moral justification of enslaving them. Various invasions of Korea by Japan have been (partly?) justified by moral superiority. And so on.

On the other hand, both Imther and Tarsh were brought into the Lunar Empire without wars. (Wars failed at first to subdue Tarsh and were never tried on Imther.)

> Satarite rebels resisting the Lunar invasion.
> does have parallels in the RW e.g. Ireland. Terrorists/Freedom
> Fighters opposing the Govt/Invaders

Hmm. I may be mis-understanding what you are trying to say, but the above appears to me to be talking about the 20th century struggle in Ireland. In fact, I _hope_ I am misunderstanding you, because, if not, then I think you have _completely_ missed the mark in your analogy. How much do you know about pre-industrial, clan-based societies? How much do you know about pre-industrial Empires (and bureaucracies)? At any rate, I suggest you go back to digest v2 #678 and read (or re-read) David Hall's excellent message.

Oh, and a squad of Lunar anti-terrorist special forces has been dispatched to your dwelling. (grin)

james (not your ordinary Wind Worshipper) polk

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #8