Trouble in Teshnos

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 15:56:09 +0100

I've been unable to access my computer due limited Range skill, but am now back, and will thus make a big heap of small comments at one time. Sorry if this causes some sort of trouble. Peter Metcalfe about Teshnos:
> 5) The Keeper of Crystal Wisdom knows a secret pathway into
a > valley full of magical crystals near Diamond Mountain. It's
> guarded by terrible Dwarven Constructs which the Keeper also
> knows the way of slipping past. (Thank Eric the Viking for
> this relevation).

The inspiration was the RW medieval stories about the spices and gems of the east being guarded by snakes, basilisks, giants etc - several good ones can be found in 1001 nights.
Three good types of guardian creatures would be enormous mechanical centipedes (they look scary), cockatrices brewed in the foul vats of the Tin and Quicksilver Dwarfs and giant metal Jolanti. A classical trick for overcoming such dangers is catapulting oxen carcasses down the valley, to which the diamonds will stick. Then the enormous raptors who lives near the place will descend and take those carcasses to their nests. The eager diamondhunters can go to the nests and get the diamonds. They just have to take care they do not encounter the Rukh-like birds themselves.

> 10) Iron is slightly cheaper than normal there. The Mostali of
> Diamond Mountain tossed all the Iron out of their Conclave when
> they went Octamonist.

If they "tossed it out" literally it could have very strange effects.... Seriously, that seems very Dwarven to me. Or are there some large caves filled with the stuff, carefully sealed off from the main dwarven stronghold as being "diseased"?

Note that in a description of Boldhome it is stated that you could find merchants from all over the world there - even far-away Teshnos. Hm.

Erik Sieurin