Conscripts and other occupators

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 96 19:12 MET DST

Pam about me:
>He then adds some piffle about Lodrilli soldiers [...], overwhelmed by the
>sight of naked, screaming Orlanthi charging down on them. To which I
>say: old hat! That's what they signed up for!

You'll know the difference when you've stood on the receiving end the first time... Check for instance Sandy Petersen's retelling of some Civil War reenactment charge against his unit, closing with the comment "next time I will run"... (I think 'twas on the Rules Digest)

I brought this up because the "furor celticus" was feared all over the classical world, that's the region which had been fighting in phalanxes for centuries. It took some military geniuses among the Romans to train the men to stand through these charges - a bit like the effect of war elephants, actually. (Now imagine you, a green linesman, are charged by a snake-nosed mountain of flesh...)