Re: charcoal

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 20:04:25 -0700

Joerg Baumgartner wondered

> Do Gloranthans use charcoal? What for?

I'm no expert, but I'd be pretty sure they use it for forges. Here's a quote from my Irish research:

A mruigfher (land man), one step above boaire, had "a whole plow and six oxen, a share in a mill that was enough to let him grind not only for his family but for guests, and he had 'the tools for use in every season, each one of them unborrowed.' In his house he had all the cooking equipment he could need, 'including irons and trays and mugs, so that he does not have to borrow them.' He had a whole plow with all its gear, his own kiln, barn, and outhouses, charcoal for iron-work when a smith came around, and sea-salt for preparing meat for storage. His sheep pasture was supposed to be large enough to graze his sheep without moving them -- in other words he did not have to get involved in joint herding with other farmers who moved their flocks around in the 'circuit of grazing.'" [Nerys Patterson, Cattle Lords and Clansmen, p. 197-198]

It may be that working bronze doesn't require charcoal, though the occasional iron work probably does (or lots of magic).

BTW, this rank was essentially upper middle class.

Carl Fink complained about MIME encoding. I recently ran across a message which strongly indicated that Microsoft Exchange is to blame. I don't want to start a system war, but those who use that software might want to triple-check the settings.

David Dunham Pensee Corporation dunham_at_pensee.com Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404 http://www.pensee.com/dunham/ NO ZUKES! Stop zucchini proliferation.