Praxian Wagons/Hero Quests/Heaven and Hell/Religious Disputations

From: SimonPhipp_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 17:05:34 -0400

Kevin Rose:

>I've always assumed that the Praxians do not use wagons (due to tradition
>and the really bad terrain of the Wastes) while the Pentan's use wagons
>extensively (as the Mongols and other central Asian tribes do.) Is this
>generally agreed or am I again alone in this theory?

As far as I know, morokanth use chariots pulled by herd men, they probably use wagons as well. Ronance used a chariot in the Green Age, so his trackways could be used as the basis of wagon movement in Prax and the Wastes. Maybe some of the Earth cults use ritual wagons, but I don't know. Praxians probably use some kind of drag as they seem to be based on Plains Indians in North America.

Carl Fink:

> What I object to, again, is *retroactive* changes.

The way that I rationalise it is that each HeroPath has a strength, so that something like the LBQ or the Compromise will have a very high strength, whereas a newly established path would normally have a low strength. The strength of a HeroPath determines how easy it is to access that HeroPath using HeroQuests. If two HeroPaths exist which contradict each other, say Yelmalio fights Orlanth at the Hill of Gold and Orlanth befriends Yelmalio on the Hill of Gold, then the relative strength of the Quest determines which Quest is more likely to be followed. Think of it in terms of RW Quantum events - some paths have a high probability, some have a low probability, the fact that 1 in 1000000 follow the low-prob path does not mean that it does not exist, merely that it is unlikely to be found. In this way, a HeroQuest which retroactively changes an existing event merely puts a stronger HeroPath in place. Anyone who knows the correct methods could access the original HeroPath, but it would be a lot harder than accessing the new, more powerful HeroPath. I'm not saying that this method is perfect, in fact it has loads of holes, but it is what I've been working towards regarding HeroQuesting - making things far more fluid than would normally be expected.

Martin King said:
> Wouldn't the Lunar heaven be an Orlanthi Hell though.

Absolutely not. Lunar heaven is either Solace (as the Red Goddess is the Third prophet of the Invisible God) or the Red Moon (where harps play, everyone is serene and sedate and happy) or the heaven of their respective Lunar deities (Yanafal Tarnils Swrod Hall, like Humakts's but with more laughter; Danfive Xaron's Hall of Forgiveness whre everyone is at peace; Yelm's Halls in Hell where people are near their gods; or whatever). Orlanthi Hell is either being lost and unable to get to the Castle of Wind or separated from the Winds or being trapped in a Hell of another religion.

Wonderhome is Troll Heaven, a grey expanse full of trolls sitting around and eating - fun for them, boring for others. Troll Hell is the Burning Place in the Sky where bad trolls are constantly burned by the Burner (Trolls' Bad Man) and is not a nice place for anyone. You try going to one of the Seven Hells of the Earth and saying that it is somebody's Heaven - I don't think so.

Ikadz cultists go to places in the Otherworld where they torture others to cleanse them of their sins, so this can be a heaven for them, but that is only because they perform a specific duty in the Afterlife.

In my opinion, a nasty place for trolls will be nasty for elves, humans, dwarves and pretty much anyone else. Heaven for Chaos is annihilation (supposedly) whereas hell is existence (suposedly), although even they sometimes have their own Afterlife which can be quite pleasant.

By the way, can we try to keep RW religious slanging matches off the Digest and stick to Gloranthan religious slanging matches? Thanks.

Simon