Pentan Wagons and Harrek

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 1996 13:10:54 +1200

Kevin Rose:

>I've always assumed that the Praxians do not use wagons (due to tradition
>and the really bad terrain of the Wastes) while the Pentan's use wagons
>extensively (as the Mongols and other central Asian tribes do.) Is this
>generally agreed or am I again alone in this theory?

While I agree that the Praxians don't use wagons, I was of the opinion that the Pentans did not use them as well. This was mainly from the description of Pent as a grassy plain which would make wood somehwat scarce.

Simon Phipp:

Me>> Harrek feels disgust about destroying a clan? This doesn't
>> sound right.

>GE: "One of Harrek's most strident protestations against the Empire
>was their practice of internal assassination and warfare called "Dart
>Competitions".

But it doesn't say _why_ he objects to it. He may have accidentally killed (or been forced to kill) a friend during his career as a Dart Assassin. Or he could have had his hair removed (and cursed never to grow again) to suit the Red Emperor's tastes ("I want to see a totally bald man rip them to shreds and then see the man still covered in gore in my chambers afterwards"). Mere remorse over being forced to commit an atrocity doesn't sound like Harrek IMO.

>Also, don't forget that Harrek was a mercenary in the Empire when he
>was still young, perhaps he has become accustomed to killing now, but
>those early impressions of cruelty and senseless destruction may still
>be with him. Who knows?

Considering that Harrek managed to kill the Red Emperor makes him _more_ than a 'still young' mercenary in those days.

>"Harrek [...] was a member of the Jalarami Tribe, [...] who were the
>hereditary enemies of the Rathori, or Bear People."

>So, when Harrek killed the Polar Bear God, he did it as an enemy of the
>Rathori, not as a member of the tribe, which makes things a lot easier to
>understand.

I doubt this as Harrek's rathori origins and habits are well attested to in the published material. The Jalarami may have been disliked by the rest of the Rathori but they are still Rathori IMO.

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #16