Re: Relativism and Sandy

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 96 13:26:47 -0500

Me
> The Storm King can be perceived differently by different
>folks, just as my wife, my daughter, my son, my boss, my co-worker
>perceive me differently. But there is still only one me.

Carl Fink
>Yes, but can your kids heroquest and retroactively turn you into a
>hard-drinking, cigar smoking prizefighter?

        No. Nor can they do this to Orlanth.

James Polk, our 11th president
>How do we _know_ there is "only one you"? Worse yet, what do you mean by
"only one you"? You the ID software person? You the father? You the Gloranthan guru?

        Sticks and stones can break my bones, but semantic postmodernism only insults me.

        Why can't all the bits you listed be part of the "only one me"? Just because Earth has a northern and southern hemisphere doesn't mean there's two Earths.

>begin by explaining to me how relativistic dieties in Glorantha
"have harmed >Glorantha"

  1. having every view of reality be "true" prevents one from having false beliefs in one's campaign, thus preventing one from running certain types of adventures.
  2. stating that Orlanth and his pantheon is utterly different everywhere that he appears makes it significantly harder to have your PCs travel widely, as you must re-invent the wheel everywhere they go. Now, it has been pointed out that if you _don't_ let Orlanth be different everywhere, then you lose the fun of culture shock. Not so. If the point of your adventure is NOT the culture shock, but something else, it's best not to muck it up with a whole new cosmology, and if the point of your adventure IS the culture shock, it is easy enough to apply by having Orlanth BE different in the place they're visiting. But if, by definition, Orlanth MUST be different, you're stuck explaining it when 'tis not important to your plot and action.
  3. the various helpful supplements, such as Gods of Glorantha, Elder Secrets, and so forth, become worthless, because the facts they explain become "true" only for tiny fractions of Glorantha's expanse.

Sandy P.