Celts=Orlanthi?

From: D M McNamara <D.M.McNamara_at_durham.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 11:15:28 +0100 (BST)

  I've been sitting on the sidelines, watching all the orlanthi and lunars chop each other into little pieces. Its been pretty amusing so far, but seeing as many of you are using real world parallels for orlanthi culture, then i thought i'd stick my oar in. For a start, i see nothing wrong with using your knowledge of real world dead culture systems to colour your games. However, i have noticed that many of you have been using your archaeology/history reading in a somewhat absolutist manner, without qualifying what you are saying. For a start, there is no one single 'fact' that can be said to have occurred without question during the pre-roman iron age in the west. All is ultimately interpretative; however, there is a limit to interpretation. This is my humble reading (achtung! I have been studying the roman core and periphery regions for my thesis, so some REAL archaeology follows....).

I have noticed that many of you are using the term 'celts' often, as if there was some monolithic culture group in place during the western iron age. 'But no!' You may cry, 'I know that there were different tribes, therefore my knowledge is not generalising!' Hmmmm. The 'idea' of the 'celts' was in fact an invention of the 18th and 19th century. Before this, archaeology was too muddled to be able to define anything beyond renaissance gentlemen dressed up in skins and wielding swords. However, the development of the nation state and capitalism meant that a social environment was created, where the devising of a national character to draw together people in the same country was promoted. Before this, if you asked a peasant what country he lived in he may have been baffled, and instead talked about his local town. The emergent protestant religion also helped promote the dissemination of secular
'givens' ie. 'we are all englishmen.'

For example, in france during the napoleonic wars, the celts were seen as heroic, artistic collossi, who represented the essence of french civilisation and refinement. Their enemies at that period, the germans and british (english), regarded the ancient celts as effeminate and weak. They turned to the doughty saxons as their role models - promoters of democracy and state builders. They were inspired by the writings of Tacitus, who wrote of the 'barbarians' in the forests of germany. He stated that they were innocent and noble, whereas the romans were decadent and soon to collapse. This also obviously inspired later philosophers such as Rosseau ('noble savages'). In this century, the fascists in germany and italy reused the spectres of the past - the classical world, to legitimate their rule. As Hegel and Marx have said, every event in history takes place at least twice; the first time as tragedy, the second as farce. Hence, the whole concept of culture was politicised.
Much later, in archaeology there began a movement known as 'culture history,' which sought to plot the development of great cultures (often initially inspired by the 'classics'- taken for granted knowledge derived from ancient classical texts, and renaissance/enlightenment reformulations). This sought to trace the movement of these cultures across the globe - change was often attributed to migrations, the diffusion of ideas from elsewhere, or to invasions. Independent development was conceived of as somewhat untenable at this time. This paradigm was immensely important, and popular. Famous exponents of this approach include the great marxist archaeologist Vere Gordon Childe (he was originally from australia, but did most of his work in Britain), and the fascist german archaeologist Gustav Kossina. You may have heard of some famous ideas from this time. They are still lurking about in the publics consciousness, even though archaeologists abandoned them years ago.

For instance, 'ex oriente lux' - the idea that the developments of the ancient world (egypt, mesopotamia) diffused into europe, where they were adapted. The ancient world was seen as decadent - the term 'oriental despotism' crops up often. Whereas europe was seen as possessing an enterprising spirit which enabled it to use these social and technological developments to eventually build the capitalist world. Obviously, as well as sounding slightly naieve these days, the concept carried many orientalist (ie. racist) assumptions. The idea was developed from the ideas of Marx (the asiatic mode of production) and Weber (oriental patrimonialism). Briefly, the ideas held that there was no true concept of private property, which inhibited social evolution beyond despotic forms, and that any created surplus was merely 'siphoned off,' rather than applied for reinvestment or to increase social power.

These ideas have been effectively smashed by colin renfrew (in his marvellous book 'before civilisation' 1973), who through research, proved chronologically that there was absolutely no correspondence between the
'rise' of the cultural systems in the middle east and europe. Therefore
they had to be indigenous developments primarily. Furthermore, the discovery of sites like Catal Huyuk in Anatolia suggests that the urban revolution was also available earlier than was originally thought, and not necessarily linked to the middle east (see Ian Hodder 'the domestication of europe' 1990).

However, further problems existed in culture-history. The idea of cultures charging about antiquity in europe started to become very silly indeed. Rather than conmsidering indigenous development of complexity, it was always said to be a movement of people or ideas. Hence, in the runequest digest a short time ago, someone was able to say 'the celts invaded greece.' Oh dear! Furthermore, during the bronze age we got the beaker people invading britain more than once (bringing their own distinctive brand of pots with them). Bleee....In the iron age, the wessex culture gets attributed to a migratory breton aristocracy; we get different phases of la tene and Hallstatt culture groups deciding to take residence in britain for no apparent reason, except to flaunt their distinctive art styles. Bleeee....
Furthermore, what we consider as monolithic 'blocks' of culture ('the celts') was infact far, far more complex. Childe had to develop a polythetic conception of culture, because THERE WAS NOT ONE SINGLE PLACE in the whole of europe where a single cultural assemblage could be found and attributable to a distinct culture group. Instead, he had to say that races ('the celts') were made up of different groups which shared certain different cultural assemblages. Imagine a set of three rings, overlapping at the centre. Each ring defines a specific cultural assemblage, whereas the central overlapping area defines 'the racial assemblage' which they all share. Most of the time, many geographically distinct culture groups demonstrated little correspondence (this is why many cultures were named after geographical regions in europe). The culture-history paradigm was obviously crumbling.
The picture is worsened when you consider that people use material culture to denote psoitionality. For example, Ian hodder's work among tribes in Kenya has demonstrated that tribes use material culture reflexively to say different things (Ian Hodder, 'Symbols in Action' 1982). Women may use mens beaded bracelets to challenge the power of men, for instance, or young people may use the styles of 'the elders,' or women married into a new tribe may use their old tribes material culture (eg. earflaps) to remember their old life. The idea that we can therefore scientifically say what 'culture means' is somewhat untenable.

Celts therefore only existed as a great miasma of overlapping cultural systems. Many were not aware of each other, and many may not have considered themselves as 'celts,'let alone european. However, many layperson manuals of archaeology still use the culture history paradigm. Probably because it is relatively simplistic, also because it appeals to the ignorant sense of 'national character' which many of us accept (the archaeologist certainly should not do so). Morally, it is also wrong, as the whole idea carries with it much generalising, racist baggage. Nazi germany, for example, used archaeology to legitimate its invasion of europe. The cultural assemblage of corded ware and bronze axes (suitably warlike) was considered to represent the teutonic spirit. It was a common assemblage in europe, particularly in germany. However, it allowed the nazis to argue that they had good reasons to invade the likes of poland, because the territory contained the relevant assemblage, therefore it 'belonged' to germany from long-ago. However, Hitler later was heard to admit that he found the scruffy iron age roundhouses of germany somewhat embarrassing in contrast with the glorious stone buildings of greece! It was archaeology's finest (and most appalling) hour.
Many people today refer to their supposed 'celtic ancestry' to invoke the idea that they have hot tempers, artistic temperaments, etc. Of course, its a load of rubbish - as if character was created by culture! Of course, it is easy for us to laugh off the ideas of the early archaeologists, but culture-historical ideas are alive and well today. In europe, for example, we recently had an EC funded archaeology conference, attracting many european prehistorians, about 'the creation of a european spirit.' In the USA, many people believe that the vikings colonised a small part of the country, despite the fact that the evidence is constructed of hilarious fakes or extremely dubious sites. Ask yourself why many americans find it so important to try and desperately
'prove' that vikings lived in the USA. One interpretation is that WASP
americans find it necessary to legitimate the cultural genocide and slavery whereby europeans claimed the country - because if the vikings were there in the distant past, then it is acceptable that they returned to 'claim what was theirs' (sounds similar to the nazis use of archaeology?). I am sure that many non-white americans are not as interested in whether vikings were in the USA or not.

Eventually then, what i am arguing against is the dubious idea of
'archaeological facts.' It is a characteristic element of postmodern
knowledge that it must be constructed of self-evident 'facts,' and these
'facts' must be widely available and easily understandable to allow the
layperson to 'get the knowledge.' Essentially we are making consumer decision for obtaining matters of 'fact.' The 'information explosion,' promoted by the proliferation of electronic media, allows the consumer to choose the 'facts' to suit his own mindset and weltanschauung. I have noticed that similar things happen in roleplaying - rather than be critical, the roleplayer usually accepts the simplest answer (which is often the wrong one).
I am sorry about the long email, but i hope that it proves illuminating (this is a riddle where you roll on 'world law'), or at least provokes argument.
  Dominic.