Re:Lunar clans

From: nilsw_at_ibm.net
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 96 19:16:50 +0000

Pam:
>What role do y'all see clans playing in Peloria? It's stated in many
>sources that the Lunars have "clans". What are they? Where did they
>come from? (Does Plentonius mention clans in ancient Dara Happa? He
>seems to talk more about "families".) How are they different from an
>Orlanthi clan?

Since the romans are one real world source of inspiration for the lunars I think the roman gentes is a reasonable parallell: a huge conglomerate of related families. Some gentes had both a patrician and a plebeian branch, so varying social status was possible.

Then they also had a large number of clientes, hangers-on who hoped to gain something in return for adding their votes to the clan's in the comitium. Then there were manumitted slaves etc. etc.

Perhaps there are various 'degrees' of lunar clans. The 'patricians' might be descended from ancient Dara Happan clans with celestial ancestry, while the 'plebeians' are Pelandan or whatever in origin. Finally intruders like horse nomads and other barbarians may be the founders of a lower rank of clans, even though some of them have advanced since then.

| Nils Weinander          	| Everything is dust in the wind
| Office: nils_at_carasoft.se	|
| Home: nilsw_at_ibm.net     	|
| WWW: http://www.angelfire.com/pages1/nilsw/index.html

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #22