Monomyth

From: Nick_Brooke_at_deloitte.touche.co.uk
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 07:49:56 PST

Chris Pearce asks why we demonise the Monomyth.

In old Joe Campbell's sense, there's nothing wrong with the concept of a monomyth: a series of patterns in comparative religion which can often be explained away through nature, biology, psychology, etc. But the Gloranthan monomyth was a creation of the Jrusteli God Learners, and they didn't just record the myths of other cultures: they actively intervened to prune away what they took for "excrescences" and "deviations" and replace them with the One True Version, trying to return the myths of the world to a supposed primeval archetypal state which *they* said was "right". (Essentially inflicting on other peoples the same reductive textual/mythical criticism with which they'd transformed their own religion of Malkionism).

And that's not nice.

Jeff posts the Top Ten Things That Are Not From Saird (but I only counted nine!) :-)

Sorry to disappoint, but some elements of late tenth- and eleventh-century Carmanian religion are heavily influenced from Saird (e.g. the myth of the "Carmanian Lightbringers' Quest"), while the royal houses of the two lands intermarried throughout the Three Generations of Peace. Remember the Three Brothers Who Divided The World.

Does that make it eight...?!

Nick