Lunar organization

From: Ramos <ramos_at_CRPP.U-Bordeaux.FR>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 11:27:00 -0700

I recall seeing this same idea in the Digest some time back, but I have to disagree with Sandy.

        Although I do think that the HC has generally an uniform structure, I expect Darra Happan units to keep a base 10 organization, giving them a bigger depth from normal Lunar units. Also, from practical reasons (7 is a prime number) to divide and reorganize the files I do prefer the Lunar Files to be 8 strong (7 men plus the monitor). Not only do we keep the important 7, but we put an emphasis on the special nature of the monitor, and doubling files we have the satisfactory 16 depth, or we can halve it in two demifiles of 4, one led by the monitor and the other by the senior trooper. Although hoplites will seldom adopt such an extended formation, skirmishers or missile troops will certainly do. Seven is too unwieldy for easy coordinated maneuvering (which at this level is mostly facing changes and different length/depth ratios).

        You can have 16 (more satisfying organization-wise) or even 14 files (for mystical reasons) for maniple (the reasons for an even number I hope are clear). With seven maniples that gives 800 to 900 soldiers. The Temple complement-Wyter spirit-command section and even an inherent body of dedicated healers (a Lunar advance in the field of war) would allow us to reach the mystical 1000. I think only Darra Happans and quartermasters try to have such a round number.

        Another question is that I visualize many special troop types in the different provinces, and some of the elite ones are temporally attached to the HC, like Count Alehandro carmanian troops in Dragon Pass.

        That allows us to try other different organizations (not centurion, lad, Sergeant, sir!) and confusing troop types temporarily deployed near the PCs. I am sure some Aggarian hill barbarians are used as scouts/terrain experts/field advisers by the Lunar command. And although some will defect (breaking language and some religious barriers, max MGF) most will not have more sympathy for the sartarites than for any enemy clan at home.

        Although many people will have seen the Red Cloaks and impassive hoplites in Sartar, many of the occupying troops will be completely different from the stereotype. Elite troops are not used to pacify provinces. You use second line and provincial units.

        I hope that helps.

Jose Ramos