Things that are not influenced by the Arabs

From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_erols.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 12:40:01 -0400 (EDT)

In (I hope) a light-hearted response to the list of things in Gloranthan which are not influenced by Saird, I here propose a list of things in the real world which are not influenced by the Arabs and their culture:
  1. Anglo-American law
  2. Kabuki theater
  3. Inuit igloos
  4. Tierro del Fuegan fire ceremonies ...

I could go on, but the point is that simply because a culture originates or heavily influences major aspects of world culture doesn't mean squat in terms of that culture's present importance in the world, nor does it mean that ordinary people elsewhere in the world know where the stuff came from. Universities, the sciences, medicine, steel, silk, spices all came to Europe, and through Europe to the rest of the world, from the Arabs of North Africa and the Middle East.