Various topics

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 14:11:16 -0700

Why does Minlinster have to deal with bees? Admittedly, I had a Belgian honey ale yesterday, but I don't recall any honey going into the batches of Bock I've made. Sure, bees probably have to be involved in growing the ingredients, but no more than the Hearth Mother needs to deal with bees to bake bread.

Peter Metcalfe claims

> Furor Celtica is Fanaticism not Demoralize

I'd be surprised if it's not both. Though unlike Roderick Robertson, I think its use by opposing Orlanthi groups doesn't always cancel out -- if Justice is on your side, yours might work a little better, etc.

Nick Davison alluded to a Firshala writeup. Please post!

Paul Edson wrote

> I've heard a lot about Glorantha, so I bought RQ3 Deluxe and read
> cover to cover. Having done so, I am still utterly and entirely at a
> loss with respect to most of the conversation going on here.

While Glorantha is associated with RQ, the rules themselves have only the thin Book 5, which has but a scant overview. Probably the orange Glorantha box gives the best overview, with Gods of Glorantha as an essential overview of religious practices. River of Cradles has some pretty good info on what it's like in that part of Glorantha. The product with the most detail is probably King of Sartar (which gets into the Orlanthi in reasonable detail). I'm trying to catalog and describe all the Gloranthan products at <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/products.html>. It's still my goal to write a one-page summary of Glorantha...

Erik Sieurin wondered

> what happened to people who wore metal jewelry under [RQ2]

Nothing -- it was always alloyed. Same as coins.

> Kudos to Jeff Richard for his Clan Varmand descriptions. I'll save them

They're now at my Web site, too. (I play Korol Sure-Strike.)

Martin Crim left out Tomato Juice from his list of things not influenced by the Arabs :-) The whole point of the list was to poke fun at the idea that Saird is the center of everything. (It is, of course, but that's not the point.) And a difficult exercise in Gloranthan trivia -- we'd thought of the western origin of the Carmanians, but they did end up with Sairdite influence. Scratch them.

Of course, Martin is right that just because Ernalda is from Saird, doesn't mean most Orlanthi know this, or that her worship in Esrolia is very similar to her original version. (The Sairdite name is probably different, too, probably closer to the Remalada/Renalada she appears as in Glorious ReAscent of Yelm.)

EFFECTS OF MAGIC
I usually play spirit magic with a visual effect -- when your blow bounces off a Protection spell, there's a shower of sparks. Sorcery has an auditory effect -- you can hear a Carmanian knight's equipment crackling and humming as he rides into battle. I can't find my notes for divine magic -- I don't think it was smell, but it could have been. I do know that those darned Humathi swords (in my campaign there are now two swords that do double damage to humans) give gusts of wind that swirl all the dead leaves, or leave a smell of ozone.

The effects aren't exclusive -- obviously you can see and hear a Thunderbolt -- but in general, I play there is a sensory difference between the three main types of magic.

David Dunham Pensee Corporation dunham_at_pensee.com Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404 http://www.pensee.com/dunham/ NO ZUKES! Stop zucchini proliferation.