Re: Smithing

From: Paul Pofandt <ppofandt_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 13:26:48 +1000 (EST)

Michael Raaterova about smiths:
> IMG, they use spells to heat their forge and bless their smithy, but their
> real magic comes from within. They have discovered the secrets of smithing
> more or less by Questing, and so their powers to shape metal become innate,
> and not spells sacrificed for.

I'm still intrigued by this statment. At the RQ Con downunder, I asked Greg what the difference was between Rune-spells and Heroquest abilities. His reply was that Heropowers were an inate part of yourself, and that they still required POW or MPs to cast. HOWEVER, I still believe that rune-spells are an inate part of yourself, once sacrificed for. When in the temple, you pray to your god for assistance, and he (or she) answers you; gifting you with the ability to perform a specific act or power at will, albiet in a limited maner. for your part, you sacrifice a part of yourself to your god, forever binding yourself to him a little tighter.

How is this different to using an inate power gained through heroquesting? My thoughts were that the diferences between the two forms of power expression were a rules construct (though there are no hard and fast rules covering hero powers).

Further on the subject of smiths...
Following a series of (IMHO) excelent books devoted to the exploitss of 'magical' smiths, I've been feeling my way through my own interpretation of how smithing is carried out in the RQ worlds.

I find myself intrigued by other possible ways of performing the acts of smithing. It strikes my that Form/Set 'substance' is made for smiths. I can visualise sorcerous smiths utilising thier powers to shape metals, softening the metal to the consitancy of heavy clay, and shaping the most marvelous personal items as only an artist can. (Note: in my worlds, Form/set alows the substance to be worked by HAND; softening hard substances and hardening liquids and gases. Hard substances retain thier shape when the spell duration expires).

In a similar maner, I can see a Lodrilli (or other fire worshiper) smith using his relationship with fire (read: spell-protection from heat) to shape metal heated in the forge with his bare hands as one might shape hot wax. (I know that Lodril doesn't offer protection from heat, but in my opinion he should. In combination with Heat Metal it can produce some delightfull images).

Any comments.
Catch Ya.

        Paul.

"Say it with flowers...