WiskeyQuest 4, stalled in late production by evil corporations. (Again.)

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 96 09:54:24 BST

David G:
> Indeed. IMG, the invention of whiskey was a major Sartarite heroquest
> undertaken in reaction to the Lunar introduction of the demon gin.

Or something like that. ;-) My intution about Sartarite whisky isn't yet sure, but I'm working to the following set of guesses:

 o It's free of "e"'s.

 o It's also free of "w"'s. I can never get the hang of making up Sartarite words, and seem to rather frequently resort to stealing something from a Gaelic source, and then making it sound Swedish.

 o It's not a widespread drink, and making it is a _major_ clan, or more likely, bloodline or family secret. If there are several different sources, all are deuced small, and produce markedly different substances.

Maybe "visge" would be a reasonable name? I favour the NW of Sartar as the best visge-making region: anyone have any nominate clans?

> I will leave it to Peter Metcalfe to make the Elmal and Gustbran
> connections. Hmm, there must also be some Elf or Earth influence in
> order to account for the copper tanks.

Mere niceties. The (alleged) Tanian connection is much more interesting. (I wonder who ever started _that_ rumour, anyway?)

Sandy P. Abstains from such idle talk:
> I have always understood that distilled liquors are a
> fairly modern invention on Earth, no?

Indeed. I don't _actually_ think that any of the run-of-the-mill theists have anything resembling distillation technology. (Yes, I know, it begs the question.) I'm quite confident that for 99.9....9% of Glorantha, the answer to the question "How is (some >15% or so booze) made?" is on the lines of "Who the hell knows?", or "I could tell you, and then I'd have to Minarian you until you bleed."

> I can speak only for myself, but I think that I will be joined by Alex and
> David Gadbois at Convulsion3D for an inofficial Sartarite Whisky seminar (in
> continuation of the Stahleck one)...

Hell, no, you can speak for me too. If you bring a big enough bottle, you may very well _have_ to...

Sandy again, quotes me on:
> >age-changes are fairly often seen in fairly independant places.
> The three (or >so) different Empires in the 2nd age managed to fall
> apart pretty much >separately, not as the result of a single Magic
> Bullet or First Cause.

saying:
> Alex, surely you're not claiming that the destruction of
> Every Single Empire near the end of the Second Age was coincidence?

Define "coincidence". Well, actually, I wasn't actually making any claim about what it was. I don't want to get involved about theorising on this topic beyond the point where it would be useful in shedding light on Creative History, and the like.

> The Second Age comparisons are apt -- all the empires
> shared something in common; some feature or trait in the air, or the
> mythology, that let them form, and that ultimately failed or
> changed, or detonated so spectacularly.

That's a long way away from a Magic Bullet, though. If the Canon gives any real hints about the "why", it seems to be towards "Having Big Empires Go Belly Up was the Mythic Theme that century (or so)." This perception could itself be a sort of after-the-fact God Learnerism, though.

Alex.