Orlanthi as Celts, Saxons etc

From: david_at_dboat.demon.co.uk
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 11:03:39 +0000

To me Orlanthi seem to be a mixture of all western barbarian cultures. The Celt idea which seems to be having a bit a rival seems to coming from 'amateur' sources such as the 2nd council Free Form book (Thats probably not what its called but it escapes me at the minute.) and the cover of the book of drastic resolutions. IMO most of these people started in glorantha in 2nd edition, when it was presented as a bronze age world. Maybe that had something to do with staying as far away as possible from D&D. I do not think there is any 'non-amateur' source for the Orlanthi as Celts. Altough I have seen a cut section from the Gloranthan box set comparing each Gloranthan culture with its Earth counter part. Orlanthi are listed as a mixture of Celt Saxon and Vilking.

With the publication of the Glorantha box set they seem to have drifted towards Germanics. Its seems to be it might be easier to base a barbarian cultures on these as there seems to be more evidence for pre civlised culture. To me a lot of post Roman celtic culture seems alien, due to language, and although I hate to say it the Germainc cultures seem more comfortable. Compare the word Carl to what ever the name that is give to Irish free farmer of the same period. I could go look it up but I sure a lot of your could hit me between the eys with it.
Finaly the last draft of RQAiG that I seen seem to moving Orlanthi back to a Celtic culture with notes about how important appearance is to them and things like sword dancing as one of the possible skills for a character..

Better Dead than Red