Re: Glorantha Digest V3 #24

From: david_at_dboat.demon.co.uk
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 11:33:38 +0000

Nick Brooke

>Sure, you can be an Orlanthi. I am, most of the time I play RQ. But I
>don't want to be an Orlanthi who has to lie about his opponents,
>dishonourably ambush them, assist drug traffickers and murderers and
>terrorists, pretend they're all chaotic "unpersons", and endanger the
>lives of my family and friends with reckless abandon by doing so. I
>want to play a Real Person, not a skirmish wargaming 25mm figure with
>numbers attached.

But do you always play a person who always understands the other persons point of view. Is this not as one sided as the Wargamers frothing Storm Bull. This is not a criticism its a query. Another point in what period do you play. If you start charcters in 1620's then maybe a character could have such feelings towards the Lunars. Twenty years is not a long time for bad feelings to disappear. Admitley in non literal society and a society that does put such an empaises on bragging and story telling, maybe feelings against the Lunars would seep away in less than a generation. But surely 1620s characters are still regalled by stories from their fathers about the fall of Boldhome and those about the battles of Grizzley Peak and Kargne Farm. If you start characters in the 1500's and then go onto to plays the descendants of these characters then a understanding for the Lunars is even less likely. Maybe not all Sartari have deep hatred for the chaotic nature (no matter how slim) of the Lunars, but within the limit time frame of the Lunar occupation not many of them could really think well of them.

As have rarely got the chance to play as opposed to GM I have not had the chance to vent my 'all Lunars are chaos scum'. While GMing the players have actually hate the in Tribe turncoats, the Brown Horse clan more than the Lunars. Probably because the players they only using the new religious fervour to prompt the clan. BTW some my posts\rants are out of order as I am fighting to get another ISP going. Which is was why you ahve connected the Nazi thing with the Storm Bull. It was in answere to Pams suggestion the Sartari were lucky because they had not got there asses fragged like some of the guys in Peloria.