Bronze

From: Paul_Stolar_at_Waseca_at_epccmail.itron.com
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 96 11:01:34 CST

Erik:
>Uhm, according to what I read (Encyclopedia Britannica, I think)
>bronze held a BETTER edge than iron, being harder.
Nils
Hmm? I thought bronze was both softer and more brittle, the latter since it is cast, not hammered and tempered.  Me
This talk about bronze has us metallurgists cringing. Typically, the harder a material is, the more brittle it is. Hardness is defined as resistance to deformation on the surface. Strength is loosely defined as resistance to a load. Ceramics are very hard and brittle. Some types of steel are also hard and brittle.

Bronze will be easier to grind/sharpen than steel, being softer, but it will loose its edge more quickly. Steel is more difficult to work, but will withstand more punishment.

Do not confuse hardness with strength.