GE/Firshala/Lost/Yelorna/Polaris/Metals

From: SimonPhipp_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 19:37:08 -0400

Martin Crim:
>Simon quotes from the Gloranthan Encyclopedia regarding these two lands.
>Sounds like an outsider's view, and an outsider who wasn't very interested
>in the details of the peoples there. Any idea how long ago Greg wrote it?

The GE is copyright 1990, so it was probably written or compiled then. The quotes were from a description of the Lunar Empire and its satellites, so was written from a third party view (the best way, in my opinion).

Jim Chaplin asked about a Firshala HeroQuest.

In my game, Firshala is the counterpart to Oakfed in Prax, in other words, she was responsible for burning much of the forests in Votankiland/Elder Wilds. Hence the hostility towards the elves. One of the characters in our campaign has united Balazar and is planning just such a quest. After much discussion, the best way forward seems to be reinventing Firshala as the god of Slash and Burn, so instead of randomly burning forests, she would be tamed by the King, perhaps even locked away in a jar or put on a lead, and only allowed to burn the decaying and dying forest, invigorating it and promoting the release of new plants. In this way, her violent and destructive tendencies would be tamed and she would prove beneficial to the forests.

By the way, I also think that Firshala is the ancestress of the people of Votankiland and a daughter of Grandmother Sky, hence the ancestor spells in Griffin Mountain (withdrawn in Griffin Island for some reason).

> From: "M.Slaymaker" <ad185_at_city.ac.uk>
> 8+IjAHAQaQCAAEAAAAAAABAAEAAQeQBgAIAAAA5AQAAAAAAADoAAEIgAcAGAAAAElQ
> TS5NaWNy etc.

Hey, I liked this one - it made a lot more sense than some of the stuff on the Digest :-)

> From: "Paul Edson" <wespee_at_erols.com>
> Subject: Boy am I lost

Simple, Paul, all you need to do is buy every RQ supplement, even the ones out of print, then buy all the Gloranthan stuff, then get hold of everything published in fanzines, everything on Digests and earlier forums, then find out what Greg Stafford, Sandy Petersen et al have ever written or spoken on the subject and you're away. By the way, when you have done all this, could you send me a copy?

(Alternatively, you could just buy Wyrms Footprints which, as Nick Brooke implies, has everything you need to know about Glorantha and more - you don't need to buy anything else because it is so fantastic :-) )

Yelorna

The Star Bringer was probably worshipped by various people from different cultures in different ways. After all, not every deity is only worshipped in one culture by one people - if you believe in Glorantha Absolutes and the deities doing things throughout Godtime, as I do, then it is quite possible that Yelorna is worshipped by the Unicorn Women in one way, by the Pelorians as a minor start deity, by the Ralians as something else and so on. She may well have been associated with the deities of Jarst, since they are unicorn-riding star deities, but who knows?

Polaris

I liked the idea, from an earlier Difest, that Polaris became a main wargod of Peloria when all the warriors were killed in the Dragonkil episode - Polaris being a Quartermaster cult which survived because it did not fight. Presumably, Yelmalio exists as a military cult because its worshippers ran away (hence the yellow streak which they all have).

On Metals:
> Well, in RQ3 there is the caste of Brass Mostali, who are described as
> alloyists, in the same AH box as the metal rules. And RQ2 said that every
> coin was alloyed.

And in RQ3, the element of Air/Storm suddenly changed from good old Tin to bad Lunar Silver. A lot of bad things came out of RQ3, not least poorly thought out changes like this.

Someone asked about the elemental senses, from memory there are some things which are elementally based:

Dark - Hearing, Lead, Insects
Sea - Taste, Aluminium/Quicksilver, Fish Earth - Touch, Copper, Reptiles
Sky - Sight, Gold, Birds
Air - Smell, Tin, Mammals
Lunars - Balance, Silver, (Bats?)

Have just come back from Ireland and just skipped through 17 Glorantha Digests in a couple of hours, so I feel blitzed. Several points - lots of fiction - good but I didn't read it through lack of time, perhaps later; metal working - some interesting, some not; Lunar armies - some I agree with, some not, I like the idea of vastly different units making up the Lunar army, so Pelorian forces are completely different to Char Un cavalry and Lunar Regulars or Tarshite Provincials, I subscribe to the 7 people to a squad, 7 squads to a unit, 7 units to a cohort, 7 cohorts to a legion of nearly 2500 soldiers idea of the regular Lunar army.

Simon