Time travel paradoxes

From: ANDOVER_at_delphi.com
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 14:33:48 -0500 (EST)

The mere existence of someone from another time does not create a paradox in itself. For instance, in a dterminist universe like that of Poul Anderson's There Will Be Time, history already is the result of what you did in the past/future, and can't be changed! (Was it a Frank Herbert novel in which someone goes back to watch Christ on the Cross and turns out to "be" Christ on the Cross?)
In a shifting universe like that of Anderson's Time Patrol series, travelers from the future can indeed change the past, but in doing so wipe out the world they came from, but continue to exist in the new time line they created. I think this kind of universe is subject to Larry Niven's point that such a universe would be subject to endless flux -- and the steady state eventually arrived at would be one in which Time Travel would be impossible or never discovered.
In my O.A. Explorers story, I used the idea of a fixed universe. The irony of such a universe is that you only have "freedom" to act in the areas of your ignorance! So the God's limitations come from the degree of their knowledge -- and the Invisible God, omniscient as He is, can't "act" at all, because His one action IS the universe! What the Godlearners do is not to change history "directly", but reinterpret it. Ditto for the Lunars.
Note how much room that leaves for "free will" -- lots! Consider the ferocious arguments we have had over what the replacement of the Red Moon by the White Moon means!
It also explains why Heroquests make you more powerful and limit you at
once. By the time you reach Godhood, you know so much that your ability to "change" (i.e. reinterpret) the universe has ended. Jim Chapin