Brown elves & green elves & fire

From: Mmohrfield_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 23:37:23 -0400

Martin Crim
>Although some of the Vronkali have a violent, mystical
>forest-fire ritual, most Aldryami hate and fear fire. So, we'll >get some
>conflict (the stuff stories are made of).
I've been reading an article in the August issue of Discover about how the Indians in California used fire to encourage the growth of oaks. According to the article, the absence of such fires will result in the forest being dominated by conifers. Such fires were supposed to be set in the fall when the "cool temperatures and high humidities produced low-lying fires that burned out deadwood without harming the trees." They also destroy certain pests, such as weevil and filbert worms, and prevent the growth of oak competitors. This suggests to me that it would be the brown elves rather than the green elves who have a forest fire ritual, and that it would be a realtively gentle one rather than a violent one. Well, gentle from the point of view of the brown elves. The greens might still think it's violent.
>Aldryami LIKE climax forests.

Probably only the aldryami whose "source plant" does well there like climax forests. The other types might start complaining in the council if the climax regions started to take up to much of the forest. So the conflict that Martin mentions may be between different kinds of aldryami as well as between humans and aldryami.
                                                             Mark Mohrfield

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #39