Boy Am I Lost; Lodril; Wyrms

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 15 Jul 96 17:30:01 EDT

Paul Edson:

> Boy am I lost...

I'd like to apologise on behalf of the RQing community at large for the undeservedly negative vibes which your eminently reasonable recent post attracted (V3#35, V3#40). Some gamers out there appear to have no interest in sustaining our hobby. We at the Reaching Moon Megacorp do, which is why we invest our time and money in reprinting old sources and creating new ones for the benefit of the gaming public. I hope you'll find our efforts are worthwhile.

In my opinion, you can safely ignore the sour grapes and doomsday preachings of recent stroppy respondents: what has talking like that ever added to the hobby? Surely we're better off taking a more optimistic view: while things may not be perfect, they're a lot better today than they were five years ago. I'm proud to have played a part in that Renaissance of interest in matters Gloranthan, and happy to plug the products we've produced in that time. When Simon Phipps publishes something as useful as Wyrms Footprints, I sincerely hope that he'll let us all know.

NB: both Simon P. and David B. are among the 200+ attenders at this year's Convulsion, where presumably they'll let us know that we're wasting our time trying to keep Glorantha alive as nobody cares any more. I'll keep you posted on what happens...

Joerg B:

>> Lodril is not the intercessor between Yelm and Mankind. He is >> the Earth Father and is the major men's god of the peasantry.

> This is an interesting point the God Learners managed to miss totally,
> making Lodril most of all a volcanic fire deity.

The God Learners came to theist Genertela by sea, arriving in the Mirrorsea Bay. They first encountered the Father of Low Fires in Kethaela, where the Vent Volcano and the Shadow Plateau are visible for many leagues out to sea. Thus they understandably made the (incorrect) leap of associating the chief peasants' god of Peloria with these other hot-spurting deities, comprehensively putting the cart before the horse. (Lodril is god of Volcanoes because, like men, volcanoes spurt out fertility-enhancing hot gobbets when they get excited). They presumably didn't know about Mount Fire (now the caldera bowl of Lake Oronin), since that was deep inside Carmania, a no-go zone for God Learners.

Nick H. writes:

> I am trying to recall what the flag of Sartar looks like...

Under Argrath, at least, I believe it is the Battle Banner of the EWF. It may have been related to it before (borrowing the trappings of the last Great Civilised State of Dragon Pass would seem a reasonable thing to do, cf. Sutton Hoo Man). I'm trying to work out, ahead of the SingalongaNick event at Convulsion this Saturday, whether "The Wyrm-Tangled Banner" could have been the national anthem of Sartar *before* the Lunar Occupation -- possibly so. Any thoughts would be appreciated: like Nick said, if anyone can confirm or correct before Convulsion, it'd be grand!

Erik's Dream:

> The only one I can remember is Nick Brooke, who looked exactly
> like David Letterman...

Not So! I look like Nick Brooke, nobody else. Please come to a Con and allow me to prove you wrong, one of these years.

Nick