Re: Relativism and Sandy

From: Delecti_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 18:34:23 -0400

Sandy writes:
<< 2) stating that Orlanth and his pantheon is utterly different everywhere that he appears makes it significantly harder to have your PCs travel widely, as you must re-invent the wheel everywhere they go.>>

James writes:
<<IMO, the point of having different views of the "same" gods is to create a "more realistic" setting. (Of course, what is "more realistic" depends on who is defining the term, does it not?) Also, I question the assertion that a GM must explain everything which is different to the players (and their characters). One of the best (meaning "most satisfactory both to me and the players) campaigns I ever ran had the PC's constantly aware they didn't know what was going on or why NPC's were doing what they did.>>

I was avoiding this as I was not sure what started it (I skipped it or something). But someone made a comment that got me to thinking (yes, a momementous occasion) about what James was trying to point out at least on the areas I pasted above.

A co-worker of mine has a DOOM fixation and has alot of info (i.e. collects articles, pics,etc) on the people at id and even has a poster in his room with most of them, from where I have no idea, anyway he seems to know the id-Sandy, but was suprised to know that he did other things such as contribute to a game such as RQ and a world like Glorantha (he only plays computer games, and does not get out much, and "has no life" as he put it).

I know the RQ/Glorantha List/email-Sandy and only thru light interest the id-Sandy (I actually own a copy of DOOM, but do not really play it) but do not know the person-Sandy (I have never met him and have not had much in the way of a non-Gloranthan email conversation).

So the Sandy-god I know is different than my co-workers Sandy-god and probably has a different view of Sandy-Myth than I do (personally, this guy has a CD-Rom missing and I do not want to know much of his view<g>).

Scott
aka
Delecti_at_aol.com