Yelmic initiates

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 11:59:58 +1200

Joerg Baumgarter:

Me>>Castes? In Dara Happa?

>As recent as about 1230 when Valare Addi was born as a "Third-Minus-Less;
>that is, a younger (or Less) daughter (Minus) of a craftsman (Third)"

This is evidence of a social _class_ not a caste. I do not believe the Dara Happans have castes like the RW Indians nor the Gloranthan West. While it is more closed than the Roman example (where an equestrian could easily become a senator if he had sufficient land), there is mention of Avivath distilling the Good Nobles from the Good _People_, not the Bad Nobles. We even have the example of how one who did not have a Yelmic Father can become a _Priest_ of Yelm the Elder by switching to that cult after achieving Priest status in his own (ie Lodril, Oslira, Molanni etc). Also note the padders class (according to the Frog Boy Story in Questlines) is open to everyone who accepts the rules of the commune, no restriction about caste is even implied.

Joerg suggests the answer to surplus yelmics in the nobility is:

>It seems that to a lot of Yelmies, "doing it" seems unacceptable.
>How many third and later sons go into a celibate monkhood?

'Unacceptable' is in the eyes of their religion, *not* themselves. While a puritanical few may be so revolted by sex as to join the monkhood, I do not think that the vast majority of third sons see this as a viable lifestyle or try it out. Those that do join it, eventually backslide IMHO.

>We have (finally) learned that Orlanthi initiation is into the pantheon.
>What about the Yelmies?

IMO yes for the city folk only. The Countryfolk would be initiated into the 'Lodrili' Pantheon.

>Wouldn't any
>initiate of a city god be an associate of Yelm anyway, in Dara Happa?

The Tripolis gods (Raiba, Alkor and Yuthu) are all said to be sons of Yelm so I see no problem with them being associate cults of Yelm.