various topics

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 18:06:04 -0700

Michael Raaterova wrote

> The standard system for [smiths] simply isn't good enough, so instead of
> forcing smiths and artificers to comply with the system, i scrap the system
> in order to make my smiths mysterious figures capable of strange
> enchantments.

This doesn't help much with a player-character smith, whose goal is to be the best smith in Delela, and who recently wanted to forge an iron sword to give to his clan thane when he became tribal king.

I suppose I should have said, "no, you can't be a smith" at the beginning, but it's too late now. Given my original blunder, I need to figure out how the cult of Gustbran works. Note that King of Sartar considers his cult as one of the small, odd, but accepted ones like Chalana Arroy or Issaries.

David Boatright claims

> I do not think there is
> any 'non-amateur' source for the Orlanthi as Celts. Altough I have
> seen a cut section from the Gloranthan box set comparing each
> Gloranthan culture with its Earth counter part. Orlanthi are listed
> as a mixture of Celt Saxon and Vilking.

Uh, which is it -- are they (part) Celtic, or is the Glorantha box an amateur production? The cover of Lords of Terror is plausibly Celtic, too.

Garundyer, Hero of the Seven Storms, is pretty obviously modelled after Cuchullain. This is just one of the echoes of Celtic-ness that made me comfortable using Ireland as a rough model for my East Ralios Orlanthi.

None of this is to say that the Orlanthi *are* Celts, of course. They are somewhat like Celts, and if you don't know something about the Orlanthi, you can usually extrapolate with something Celtic (or Viking or Saxon) and fit in pretty well.

David also whines that nothing is published for Glorantha, and in a later message says he can't be bothered to read stuff that is coming out. Hmm. I would be the first to admit that Greg's recent works are not a good introduction to Glorantha, but they are an excellent source of information about areas of Glorantha that were never explored with scenarios (i.e. anywhere except Prax and Dorastor).

Nick Brooke (who really does look like Nick Brooke) wrote

> You Varmandi aren't related to the Orlevings (hawk/spit), are you?

"If you hadn't spit, you'd have been in big trouble, stranger. There's some kind of Knowing God archive with more information at <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha/todp/korol3.html>. Or you could ask Theya, though she wasn't in the thick of the fighting as I was."

As far as arbiting what goes into an Essential Glorantha product, I'd be glad to, but I suggest not spending a lot of time discussing it until Chaosium gives it some sort of go-ahead. Remember, all of this stuff is under copyright (being out of print doesn't change that fact or give a legal loophole). I will warn nominators that I'm not likely to include scenario material, since it seldom has enough information density on Gloranthan background. I think there's no shortage of out-of-print background, however (even if Wyrms Footprints has brought much of it back into print).

David Dunham Pensee Corporation dunham_at_pensee.com Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404 http://www.pensee.com/dunham/ NO ZUKES! Stop zucchini proliferation.