Gustbran

From: Michael Raaterova <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 13:44:04 +0100

Dave Dunham:
>I need to figure out how
>the cult of Gustbran works. Note that King of Sartar considers his cult as
>one of the small, odd, but accepted ones like Chalana Arroy or Issaries.

Even if i agree that Gustbran is the orlanthi patron diety of smiths (and possibly of crafters in general, sort of like the orlanthi Hephaistos), i don't think the cult provides much of spells that make your pc-smith a better smith. The spells are general purpose like:

Bless Workshop (1pt Ritual Enchantment)
For every POW sacrificed to the workshop, the crafter gets bonuses when working in his shop.

Bless Tool (1pt Ritual Enchantment)
As Bless Workshop.

(I don't think enchantment _spells_ are really needed in the game mechanics. You can do a lot of things with just the enchant and ceremony skills and POW.)

Inspire Work (1pt self, stackable)
This nifty little ceremony enables the crafter to focus himself totally on his work (getting bonuses per stacking), but only if the work is non-stop from scratch to finished product. If the work is interrupted at any time during the spell, the product will be flawed or substandard. POW can be sacrificed during the crafting to produce really superior products. If the crafter is a Master, the product can have truly magical properties.

I think most crafters in the neighbourhood worship Gustbran together to boost their numbers up to a shrine. In some (most?) areas he is worshipped as a spirit cult, providing his only spell - Inspire Work. I also don't think you have to be a shaman (or at least not a full shaman) to lead a spirit cult - you need the Summon and Ceremony skills and knowledge about what you're looking for and dealing with.

Gustbran is easiest to contact in Fire Season and hardest in Dark. Gustbran is easier to summon in places associated with Fire and/or Mastery. His HHD is Fire Movement Fire or Sacred Time (when he forges the world anew).

I don't really have any good Gustbran myths, but i can guess that the important one deals with Gustbran, a lowly stead-servant in Orlanth's House, finds the secrets of [whatever] (after Eurmal tricks him into doing something stupid, forcing him to leave Orlanth's Stead) and crafts the first [culturally important object], which Eurmal steals for himself to present to Orlanth (as a recompense for an earlier Trick). But in the end Gustbran of course gets the recognition he deserves for crafting the object, when Orlanth asks Eurmal to make another of this wonderful object, and Eurmal gets to be the butt of his own Trick.

You got more ideas for your pc-smith now, Dave?