Crafts and Status

From: Michael Raaterova <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 14:10:31 +0100

Erik (who has finally learned to include more blank lines) is troubled by the status of crafters:

>Another sidethought: In KoS, certain craftsmen are said to be counted
>as "thanes", while the discussion of status according to occupation
>places craftsmen below farmers and other providers.
>Now, is this a question of _which_ craftsmen are thanes. Among
>certain Celts (no, I don't remember which), those who practiced
>certain crafts (such as jewelcraft and weaponsmithing) were counted
>as "aes dana", "skilled people(?)" right along with druids n' their
>ilk. Is that the case here - some crafts are thaneish, others not?
>
>Or is it a case of skill? Olaf the Boatwright is counted as a thane
>by his clansmen, since he is a famous boatbuilder (makes damn good
>oars, as well), but Wigfus Upcreek, who isn't that good and does more
>fishing on the side to support himself, is a mere carl or cottar?

Some crafts - like jewelcraft, armouring and weaponmaking - are more respected than others - like charcoaling, woolmaking and woodcarving - and thus the latter crafters will have lower status than the former. If we take the status of an ordinary farmer as the standard status, i'd say that a weaponsmith is ranked higher than a standard farmer but is not a thane, unless he is highly skilled or a master weaponsmith. A master boatwright who can make truly outstanding ships would be ranked as a thane, if there is a need for boats. A basketweaver would be a thane only if the baskets were magical in nature.

I don't think a crafter is very influential in society, regardless of status. He can't boss people around like a godi or a warrior thane, even if he is worth the same ransom and weregild. A crafter is usually a marginalized figure in society. He could still have a real influence but it would be indirect (favours, blackmail, gifts of his craft etc).

I agree with your idea that some crafts are cottarish, some are carlish and a few are thaneish. Now, who wants to post a comprehensive list of crafts and their relative status?

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #47