Miscellany

From: Arkat_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 11:46:46 -0400

Folks:

I've had a few questions I've been meaning to ask and I was wondering what you all think about these:

  1. What is the deal with Thunderbird? I think he was an Air Spirit/God mentioned in the RQ2 rulebook or something nearly as early and I was wondering if anybody knew any more about it or where I can find some info on it?
  2. Who is Bingista? I believe I've seen that name mentioned here in the Digest before and I read a line or two about he/she in the Orlanth and the Machine God story in KoS. From KoS I gather he/she is an Air God. Can anybody tell me more or point me to a source that can?
  3. What about Keraun? She's mentioned in the GoG Prosopaedia and in the TotRM Pamaltelan Issue (#11 I think) where she is stated as being a foreigner because she was a part of Orlanth's tribe. In what way (daughter, sister, neice,e tc.) is she related to Orlanth?
  4. Anybody ever get the idea that the Godlearners were originally the name Greg (or someone else who played with Greg) gave to the players who used out of character knowledge or speculated and fleshed out or messed around with some of Greg's basic ideas in his RQ campaign? Players who fleshed out or changed some of the Gods would obviously be using information their character wouldn't have and if those players were using that knowledge, wouldn't that make their characters like gods in that they knew stuff only the gods would know? The next step would be for Greg to actually make an area in Glorantha where there really were Godlearners and have them mess with Glorantha's mythic environment in order to teach those players a lesson? (kind of lends credence to the saying "The Godlearners were a Godlearner construct.")
  5. Here's a good question to ask Greg at the Lore auction: Are the Gods (Yelm, Orlanth, etc.) just aspects of Arachne Solara? I'd REALLY be curious to hear the answer to that one. My friend Dave and I have a theory that they are and this theory explains why there are such vast differences of worship and powers granted by the "gods".
  6. We have a guy in our group who constantly re-writes his character sheet and every time he transfers his stuff over to the new sheet, his skills improve without making experience rolls. When he does make rolls (experience and otherwise), he lies about his rolls. He's got percentile dice that are very hard to read and he is constantly rolling dice so that we never know when he is rolling for real. My question is: Has anybody else had a similar experience and what did you do about it? (talk to me philosophically. I want to know if anybody does things like kill the offender's character off, etc.)

That's it for now. I wish I could have made it to Convulsion but flying to England for a game convention would be way too hard on my wallet.

John Brown
Arkat_at_aol.com