Sartar & culture

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 23:01:12 +0100

 Nick Brooke said:
>IMHO, Sartar (like many of the settlers of what became his kingdom) came from
>Heortland.

and David Boatwright (in between the strange characters)
>Satar was from the Oshanti Clan of the Hendriki.
Yes, sorry, of course he was. I was getting confused by the Glorantha in my GM's game - very different from KoS.
KoS: he was a thane of the Orshanti clan of the Hendriki tribe, which was settled south of the Solthi river.

David continues:
>What Norse based =
>culture would he have brought. Would it would not be more likely that =
>he left to get back to old time Orlanthi culture, like the Coylmar.

We don't seem to have much idea why Sartar left home, other than being a master of the Motion rune. KoS does say that he didn't maintain contact with his clan once he had left, so he must have disagreed with them about something.

Of the Colymar, of rather, Colymar himself, it says that no record exists of his reasons for leaving other than his desire to settle where he did. He came from Esrolia around 1300, his wife was an earth priestess. Maybe that's what I was getting confused with.

>Are the laws in KOS not presented as Heorts Laws. Regarding names the =
>norse names seemed to have popped in with the Players book of the =
>Glorantha box set. Is Varmand not a Norse name, I have not got a Norese =
>name list handy.

Yes, they're called Heort's Laws. And they contain a lot of Saxon technical terms. You may be right about the Players Book: the names I found on a quick look through were Aski Harbardsson, Varmand, Borngold, Branbrig, Vastyr and Bolik. If you say Varmand is a Norse name I'll believe you, but Vastyr could be either - it sounds Celtic, but Tyr was a Norse god. Most of the rest don't seem to fit either pattern.

* Jane Williams * The answer to any either/or question is "yes" *