Quest for RQ material

From: DAVISON Nick <Nick.Davison_at_nri.org>
Date: 18 Jul 96 09:21:53 EDT

In my experience it is very difficult to get hold of RQ material in the South East of England. In particular I was (and still am) looking for a copy of the Gloranthan Bestiary.

Locally there are games shops in Chatham, Maidstone and Ashford. Ask the shop owners about RQ and they say things like `Its a great system but they don't produce anything for it anymore' and even 'Try car boot sales'

I should add that these shops are not in small areas of population. Chatham (with Rochester and Gillingham) forms part of the Medway towns which comprise 250,000 people. Maidstone (only eight miles away) has another 50,000.

The Virgin Megastore in Oxford St, London, does have a better selection but the one in Brighton now has only a couple of items.

I managed to pick up some second hand stuff in a games shop in Scarborough and also in an ordinary bookshop in Rochester. The latter was not a place I would normally have considered looking. It gave me the idea to try the Baggins bookstore, which is almost directly opposite and supposedly the largest second bookshop in England. The shop assistant said they didn't have any and if they did he would buy it himself.

A few years ago there used to be places in the UK you could mail order such things from but I don't know of anywhere now.

The RQ Digest, the multitude of WWW pages on RQ and Convulsion show that there is a demand out there. All these (and of course TORM) are contributing to keeping the game going. However eventually Gm's, players and even potential players will become discouraged by the lack of available material..

I urge everyone to back the BUTS campaign and support other initiatives such as Robert Mac Arthurs (To produce a new Foes) before it is too late.

Arkat_at_aol.com writes:

>6) We have a guy in our group who constantly re-writes his character sheet
>and every time he transfers his stuff over to the new sheet, his skills
>improve without making experience rolls. When he does make rolls (experience
>and otherwise), he lies about his rolls. He's got percentile dice that are
>very hard to read and he is constantly rolling dice so that we never know
>when he is rolling for real. My question is: Has anybody else had a similar
>experience and what did you do about it? (talk to me philosophically. I want
>to know if anybody does things like kill the offender's character off, etc.)

When we had to deal with a dice cheater, the GM simply bought a bunch of 10 sided dice (numbered 10, 20, 30...). Everyone had to use the designated dice which were easy to read, and couldn't be retroactively switched (you know, the guy who always rolls 19 and never 91).

On character sheets, our gaming group has evolved away from experience systems anyway. People make what they want, and the GM balances them as he sees fit.

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #54