Re: bad gamers

From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_erols.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 20:43:30 -0400 (EDT)

Simon Phipp writes:
>David Crim, on the same subject, says:

Wow! My son can type! And at only 16 months! (Well, to cut Simon some slack, I misspelled his name once, so I guess I shouldn't complain).

>> There's no hope for scum losers like that. Kick him out of the gaming
group
>> immediately if you want to save the group. Otherwise, he'll ruin the group
>> for everyone.
>A little harsh, methinks. The only way this will destroy a group is if
>everyone else feels slighted by it. Any player who is so stat-oriented that
>he actually cares whether someone else is adding a few percentage points to a
>skill has a serious problem, in my opinion. Why not just play for enjoyment?

There are many types of enjoyment in a game. If stats and improving them don't matter, why have them? If they do, and if your player is doing ANY of the things alleged, then all of the other players are being cheated. Do you tolerate occasional cheating at cards, when you're not playing for money? How much difference do card games make, after their done? Yet you would feel angry and disappointed (I hope) to learn that a friend had cheated at cards. How much more angry and disappointed you should be, then, when someone cheats at roleplaying, where improving characters over time is important.

Then again, maybe it's like golf, where everyone (I'm told) cheats.