Convulsion & cliques

From: David Hall <100116.2616_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 23 Jul 96 13:42:35 EDT

My post-convention recovery proceeds slowly. I note with a wry smile Nick's comment:

>the Committee had carefully delegated some of the more onerous organisational
>tasks to tournament referees (in business, we call this 'empowerment'), leaving
>more time for us to gallivant and having fun.

Well, I'm glad at least one of the committee had time to have fun!

It's probably also a good time to announce that both I and Kevin Jacklin are bowing out of organising Convulsion in the future. I want to gallivant and have some fun too!

Simon Phipp writes:
>We can't all be part of the Glorious Megacorp, Nick, cliques prevent that...
However, I
>could proof read as easily as the next man, so please do not assume that your
>position is anything special.

The Megacorp is actually an ill-defined group of people who all serve a purpose: the production of Tales, Gloranthan freeforms, and other Gloranthan products. In fact, Nick stated at the Meet Tales panel that the Megacorp is whatever David Hall decides it is at the time. I cannot possibly comment on this.

All I know is that new and old people come and go based on what they can do for Tales (without being asked). No one has ever been asked to join the Megacorp; on the other hand no one has ever been asked to leave.

Y'all want to be part of the Megacorp? Write cool stuff, draw cool stuff, DTP cool stuff. I have offers to type up articles, stuff envelopes, and proof-read coming out of my ears (welcome though they are).

Write cool stuff, e.g. Max Fuller's chilling views on Herd Men in Tales #15. Draw cool stuff, e.g. Simon Bray's prolific artwork in Tales #14 & #15. DTP cool stuff, e.g. Colin Phillips in Tales #13 and Rick Meints in Tales #14 & #15

Note: These are all people who have appeared in the last year to eighteen months.

Of course, you can also buy me a beer at a con (I'll have the membership cards ready by then!).

BTW Nick's contribution to Tales is somewhat greater than his prodigious proof-reading: co-writer of How the West was One and author/contributor to numerous articles in Tales.

Megacorp Stuff:

Those expecting copies of Tales #15 and other stuff may have to wait a while since post-con fatigue is setting in, the con accounts need doing, and other guests remain to be entertained, dined, wined, packaged and returned from whence they came. Normal service will be resumed in a few weeks.

Anyway I must now take MOB to the airport for his return to underneath his flat stone.

Cheers,

David Hall