BUTTS

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 23:07:51 +0100

Pam Carlson offered...

>Talking with Delecti Scott, I suggested that someone start a central log
>of small, homemade scenarios that folks could pick up and run.
>Organizing them by culture or area would be additionally spiffy. Frex,
>I would volunteer my "White Buffalo" scenario for newbie Praxian PC's,
>which I ran and posted about last year.

I heartily concur! IMHO the best ways to introduce new people to Glorantha are scenarios and fiction. Once people get hooked they will seek out the obscure, the esoteric and the roots of digest debate, but to start off, they are, presumably looking for something they can use in their game, directly (a scenario) or indirectly (fiction which gives tone and colour). For example, the cameo "A Loaf of Bread..." in Tales 15 is a good "teaching" scenario for Yelmalion Morality, or the old "Borderlands" as an introduction to the Grantlands and the tribes of Prax.
As for fiction, look at the tie in's for any of the other popular Roleplaying Games (World of Darkness, Shadowrun, Battletech, AD&D, etc) While these are not all great works of art (some would struggle to rate as highly as great piles of crap!) the sheer volume of them suggests theey must sell, and, I wwould guess that they help sell the games/backgrounds too. One of the things that influenced me towards Glorantha was the "Griselda" stories in White Dwarf (Is there a reward or punishment for mentioning both AD&D and WD in the same posting?). I was also impressed by the "encounters" with the various cults provided as the sidebar fiction in Cults of Prax/Cults of Terror. - --
Tim Ellis tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk
Lozenge of Darkness Presents:- Vivamort:The Gathering
Telmori:The Apocalypse                          Malkioni:The Ascension
                        Daka Fal:The Oblivion