I Once Was Lost but Now Am, well, lost...

From: Paul Edson <wespee_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 22:01:59 +0000

I'm sorry for the long hiatus between my first post and this follow-up, and for the length of this post. I've been gone for a week, and in the interim some friendly gremlin took up residence in one of my computer cables. I've taken the time today to go through all the digests since I first posted, and here's an update of sorts...

First of all, thank you to everyone who responded to my plaintive cry, personally or on the list. The range of suggestions was quite wide, but they generally boiled down to, "Read as much as you can get your hands on, watch the digest, and ask intelligent questions." In all, good suggestions. More about Sandy Petersen's excellent idea later.

I now have everything Gloranthan available at the three gaming stores most convenient to me.

     Runequest Deluxe Edition
     Elder Secrets (box)
     Glorantha: Genertela.... (box)
     Gods of Glorantha (box)
     Dorastor, Land of Doom
     Lords of Terror
     Strangers in Prax
     Sun Country
     Troll Gods (box)
     Trollpak (box)
     Wyrms Footprints.

(You may tell that, once interested in something, I get rather gung-ho, as I had exactly one of those items 2 weeks ago.) I'm working through them all as thoroughly as I can, looking for bits that draw my attention to cross check between them. I'll follow the digest, read the archives, and ask pertinent questions (or impertinent ones, depending on the sort of day I've had). I must say that so far I'm enthralled by what I've read, and even the acrimony which sometimes crops up here is a sign of a deep connection on the authors' parts. In other words, I'm in for the long run, and will plan on beginning a Gloranthan campaign in the fall once I convince some folks it's not brain surgery.

Regarding Sandy Petersen's clarion call in aid of those of us new to Glorantha, I of course heartily concur. As one of those who would benefit the most from the proposed BUTTS, allow me to throw my oar in the ring. One thing that would be highly useful would be a comprehensive index of All the Glorantha That Ever Was, so a newbie could find out that Scorpion Men figure in such-and-such a book on pages xxx-yyy, and ask someone specifically for that reference. Another would be a gazetteer of sorts, a quick and dirty listing of place names and their associated cults, dangers, major features, and published NPC's. Both of these go beyond the scope of Sandy's proposal, and if Sandy or someone was willing to send me the photocopies (I'll even pay the freight), I'll set my little research brain to work on it and distribute it as best I can... I realize that some of what I discuss is already available on the 'net, but nothing with quite the scope I'm thinking of, AFAIK.

As for the prophets of doom, well... I sing and accompany opera and write about contemporary art music, and my light-of-love programs HP mainframes in COBOL: obsolescence is obviously no deterrent to devotion in my case.

Thanks for reading my ramblings,
Paul Edson.

Paul Edson
wespee_at_erols.com