Mhysticism

From: Michael Raaterova <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 11:12:18 +0100

Pam to Mark:

>Thanks for your explanation of the near eastern "Mystery Cults".
>I agree that the mainstream Gloranthan cults are more community based
>than these. (And that they would make great models for small,
>self-oriented cults, like the Lunars, ThanAtar, or possibly even Lankhor
>Mhy.)

In my Lhankor Mhy postings i proposed that they practice Mhysticism. I don't think i gave any good description of what it was and who used it.

Mhysticism is practiced mainly by civilised LMs and urban occultists. Rural LMs usually don't have time for such inane activities. It is the gloranthan equivalent of esoteric magic and spiritual systems like alchemy (but without the potion and elixir business) and qabalah (sp?) or the I Ching. It is a mystic's weltanschauung.

As you progress in this lore you also progress spiritually and come closer to Truth. Incidentally, mhysticism is also a proto-system for sorcery (catch-all term for magic without spirits or gods) or wild magic, which allows LM Mhystics to create unusual magics.

(A few days ago i asked myself if an orlanthi who knows no spirit magic and is not initiated to any god can create magical effects. The answer was yes, and i then created a beta-system for wild magic. The system for wild enchantments can easily be developed for crafter cults and the magic of smiths. I may post my ideas on wild magic later. They aren't exactly in an easily digestable form at the moment)