Convulsion 3D

From: JOSE RAMOS <ramos_at_crpp.u-bordeaux.fr>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 13:03:17 GMT

        Before it all fades, here is what I remember of C 3D.

        First of all, I had too many transport problems (including a malfunctioning bus) to arrive early as I intended. As soon as I got there, however, I was drafted into an orlanthi heroquest, with a strong mythical content and glorantha content. Unfortunately our rivals the praxians and the yelmalions had sacrificed myth to flash. What more can I say that Nick (a notorious praxian himself) has not already said? We were the only people sane enough to avoid singing in such a serious matter.

        Afterwards came Nick's singalong, at the bar (we really needed all those beers). An emotive male-bonding (not too many women at the con) experience. People almost cried with Dance of the Goddess (me included).

        And later the different guests were surrounded by groups of gamers eager to discuss any subject in the lozenge (and some worlds beyond).

        After a few hours of sleep, TROLLBALL. MOB was tough enough to referee alone some thirty great trolls in a sunny and pleasant morning. Despite the many bribes used by the Uz, and the referee favoritism, We, the THEM won. Some events were a bit hazy (I was killed more often by my team that the enemy), but it was really relaxing to break some heads.

        I cannot say much of what happened afterwards, as I played HotB (Alcapatia Honorius, Tax Collector). I managed to make NO friends (and some enemies) by being scrupulously honest. At least I have the satisfaction of making King Blackbrow of the Lismelder pay taxes for his sword. I was killed by a vampire seeking money (he did not know the voracity of the rest of the Lunar establishment). I arrived with a fresh character just in time to see the big battle, where the orlanthi invaders of Lunar HQ were annihilated.

        After this draining experience, more night talk, including a practical course in German drinking games.

        I did not see much of Sunday, as I had to give a lecture Monday morning. I bought some things at the auction (good prices, except some items who went right through the ceiling). I made a reappearance, having forgotten the passport in my room. As I was still recuperating, I did not dare to attend the heavy duty seminars.

        I met many people, most of them interesting, with a special mention to the french representatives, that took me as one of them, and the germans, a very well organized team. Many thanks to the committee, the guests, and everybody else who participated.

        And now some gloranthan content.