Gloranthan seasons

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 09:50:00 -0700

Michael R wonders about the Gloranthan calendar: RW seasons split into 5 parts, or foes it have an extra, non RW storm season?

The Dara Happans, (and presumeably many other Pelorians), follow a four season celestial calendar, with a "sacred time" borrowed from the Theyalans, which likely occurs at the winter solstice. From this I gather that the Theyalan five season/element calendar is an artificial construct, (maybe left over from the World Council, the GL's, or the EWF)? BUT - Glorantha being as magical as it is, I assume that if everyone in an area follows rituals devoted to one element or another, it can actually change the weather. Therefore, each of the five Theyalan seasons likely has unique weather - part natural, part magical. I hope that confuses things.

Perhaps it helps to think of the celestial calendar as marking _time_, while the five season calendar marks the flow of magic, though only where it's used.

Excellent info on the festivals, Orlanthi holy days, etc. I'll use it!

>This is a tentative proposal with one major problem - it disregards most of
the published stuff that is related to the Gloranthan Year, and it sucks the Runic Calendar almost dry of life.

I don't think this is a problem. I never could remember that runic calendar, anyway. (Though David Dunham has a nice version of it. It may be on his website already. If not, he might post it?)

Pam