Cultural year cycles

From: Martin Crim <mcrim_at_erols.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 21:50:34 -0400 (EDT)

Michael Raaterova writes:

>Anybody have any RW examples of cultural year-cycles not based on
>spring-summer-autumn-winter?

Lots. Off the top of my head:

The Muslim lunar calendar. This is less than 365.25 days long, so it progresses (or retrogresses) through the solar year.

The Balinese calendar. Complex numerology is all I know about it.

The traditional Chinese calendar. IIRC, it involves lunar cycles and numerology.

(In some parts of Indonesia, from what I've hard, they try to make calendars showing the Gregorian, Muslim, traditional, and Chinese calendars together. Yoiks.)

Just about any tropical culture's calendar. Mayans, perhaps?

> <Sig omitted on legal advise>

That's _advice_. "Advise" is the verb, with the "s" pronounced as a "z."