BUTS

From: Delecti_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 22:49:55 -0400

Joerg Baumgartner on BUTS:
<<BUTS aka Bringing Up To Speed will most likely not get a free run at
out-of-print publications put together by a neutral arbiter.>> Well, let us at least try, part of some of the frustration newcomers (to Glorantha, not just the list) have is the fact that they have to deal with material that comes out on a very colorful world but there is no "available" material on it.

Someone like Paul is lucky(ok, we did influence him into spending alot), he got hooked up to the list. But most people need to be nurtured, especially when you consider that most game stores do not carry enough RQ stuff (If any) to make it appear interesting ("Hmmm, not much support for that one"), and if and when it moves, they are then not going to bring it back ("It moved so slowly, glad I got rid of it").

With what has been proposed with BUTS, you could put out that it is available and see the old time RQ2 players, those who are not on the net, and some new players who looked at RQ come back for a second look. You probably will not keep them all, but you will get some.

<<While the digest FAQ does address a few of the basic problems, I feel a WWW
introduction page would help a lot.>>
Good idea, but lets not confine it to a web site please. Alot of companies that I am aware of tend to frown on access to the web for their employees. More on this below.

<<I have been trying to write a short intro to Glorantha myself, and found
myself somewhat obsessed with details, so a committee effort might be able to cut down the length.>>
Something like a FAQ, plus some starting background would be good. More on this below.

<<how about more translations into Tradetalk?>>
"Tradetalk" is very good, I got my copy the other day, along with "The Worlds Greatest Tournament". I was very happy with the work done in them and would like to see more! (totally obvious but well deserved plug)

<<We also should try to get more people without net access involved in our
exchanges, or onto web sites, if not into this fold.>> Great Idea, as a matter of fact I was thinking that the various Fanzines could put out the proper info for subscribing to the list(s), as well as contacts for all the other zines.

One thing I have been thinking is getting all the material that is available, as well as how to get it, together on a sheet, and putting it up (with some copies) at the various game stores in Hawaii (most will). If someone wants something on it email me.

As far as getting the people without net access involved, I do not see a way to do that. I do pass on a copy of the list to a friend who does not have access. My group has been looking at various of the new magic rules out that I got off the net. By far the most popular are Sandy's sorcery and shamanism stuff, I even have a player working on his Kralori Mysticism rules. And I even have a player who plays a baboon shaman because he read some stuff on them gathered from the net (most of it put together from Martin Crim's Baboon Bits).

There is an amazing amount of material out there, finding it, sorting it out (not easy) is rough on the brain, plus updating to RQ3 for some stuff, others.

What I was thinking is getting a package of stuff on an area together along with something like a FAQ and other info (like how to get on the list, as well as contacts for all the fanzines, so those people looking to see if there is stuf for RQ/Glorantha will see it, and know how to reach out for more) and putting it out there where others can get at it (i.e. RPG pages, AOL, CIS, Prodigy, etc) so they can see there are people out there who are working on Glorantha. Kind of like a Glorantha booster shot.

A place for scenarios, and material for various areas is good. The web pages for Ralios and East Ralios are very well done. Problem is people new to the internet need to know where to find them. We should organize and list all the stuff available at one site as well as make sure it is known.

Ooops, ......END RANT MODE....sorry.....:)

Aloha,
Scott
aka
Delecti_at_aol.com
Visit my Lore Library at:
ftp://members.aol.com:/delecti/Upland_Marsh/Lore_Library

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #67