Orlanthi terrorism resolution

From: Peter Maranci <pmaranci_at_sunspot.tiac.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 04:27:40 -0400 (EDT)

        A number of people wanted to know how the Orlanthi terrorism/resistance situation would be resolved in the campaign that I wrote about some weeks ago. Events have finally reached a point that allow me to narrate the result.

        First, though, my thanks to all who commented on that long thread. I'm particularly indebted to Sandy Petersen for his greatly detailed explanation of Lunar army organization. It was extremely helpful.

        A few weeks after the PCs ambushed and killed a group of three Lunars (including a young noble girl), an Issaries trader came into their village and spent several days. He traded and chatted with many in the town, including the PCs. After a while, he went on his way.

        A week after that. the Red Dragon Regiment under the command of a Commander Hoggarth Hagamemnedes marched into the village. At 700 troops it was considerably under strength, but still far more than the village could dream of defeating.

        The village chief was questioned in his home for several minutes. Immediately thereafter, he was taken to the village square and crucified. It was announced that the life of every villager was forfeit for their support of anti-State terrorism, but that due to the Goddess' mercy only one adult male in twenty would be punished. Eight more men were then selected and crucified.

        The Lunars announced that a large reward would be given for information leading to the capture of rebels and terrorists, particularly those responsible for the most recent murders. The reward included three years' exemption from Imperial taxes for the home village of the person(s) giving information.

        A Lunar puppet (a stranger) was then appointed village chief, with a warning to all that if any harm befell him the village would be considered in rebellion, the sentence death for every villager. The new chief, Pindar the Wise, brought with him five thugs to serve as new thanes of the village. Apart from the PCs (who were hiding nearby and watching events unfold) these were now the only village thanes -- all the others were among the crucified. The Red Dragon Regiment then marched on to give the same treatment to another nearby village.

        The PCs remain in hiding. They're reluctant to return to the village for fear that someone will earn the reward.

        The two NPCs who were the main instigators of the first anti-Lunar raid were among those crucified, incidentally.

        This turn of events may seem dark, but I thought it appropriate. I should mention that there are hidden political currents that have strongly influenced the Lunar response. Whether or not the PCs will ever become involved with the undercurrents is unknown at this time.

        Once again, my thanks to all.

-->Pete

Editor, Interregnum RPG/Science Fiction APA/magazine -- email for info. Interregnum WWW home page: http://www.tiac.net/users/maranci/index.html