Mysteries

From: Saravan Peacock <saravan_at_perth.DIALix.oz.au>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 10:41:30 +0800

Hey again,

After doing battle with my accursed demon-spawned machine which seems determined to cut off the light of international Glorantha converse, I've tracked down the last few days of chat. Sorry I'm late again all, but ...

On mysteries, I rather like the idea hinted at by John Hughes in his article in Tales#12: "Share what you can of that truth. But do not worry if your words seem inadequate; we all know that more was shown to you than you can tell. Cloudstrider. Wind-Shaman of Far Point."

Experience in any stressful real world situation is similar. Two (and esp. more) people watching the same event will have different recollections of it. Witness any two accounts of the same RW battle, even from soldiers fighting next to each other. How much more difficult then, is the mystery of true mystical/religious experience to get a full grasp on? Hence, I agree with Pam that all religions have mysteries, but I would suggest they are truly comprehended by none (except "maybe" very wise and insightful priests). Initiates are merely those who can take part in the experience of the closeness of the Mythic/God Plane during a ceremony, due to their bond with that god. Pantheons enlarge the scope of those who can experience "something" during any ceremony of their pantheon.

Quick disclaimer: What are the mysteries we are talking about? Secrets, mysteries ... Mark Smylie notes that
>it is precisely the
>_experiential_ nature of the insight gained by "faith" that marks the
>difference between the committed worshipper and the simple observer, but I
>don't think this is a "secret" in the true sense of the word, and really
>doesn't have much to do with how a cult or religion is _organized_

(I deliberately omit comment on the purely knowledge "secrets") My comments above relate to the "experiential insight". I think that it may be possible to link those to the organisation of the cult/religion, in the sense of the hierarchy of priests/initiates etc. Priests have a deeper understanding of the things they experience in rituals. One of their jobs is to try to sort through and explain things which their initiates have experienced in moments of mystical awareness (or rather obscurity). To be a good priest, one needs these kinds of deeper insights. Presumably, in a world where religion, magic and mystical/mythical experience is commonplace the priesthood would not accept anyone who does not have those insights (though I still hold to the principle that you can have bad/corrupt priests who don't have the necessary skills, and yet don't mess things up too much for their people - otherwise they couldn't get away with being devious gits). The Test of Holiness in the RQ rules, is, IMO, a mechanic to represent this, as well as the possession of unity with their god. I think the Secret Cult Lore could be a part of this.

1- The priest candidate must have gained an "understanding" not just knowledge of mystery X which may be a ritual or spell etc., through his or her experience with magic/myth. Maybe this is divine inspiration, so only the "chosen" have it, or maybe its just a deeper understanding of the significance of "common" events.

or

2- The other way around. Anyone can be a priest provided they meet the requirements for "potential" - ie high POW, lots of spells, experience etc, which prove that s/he is a magical person. Then the secrets are taught to them after gaining the priesthood so that s/he can instruct the initiates with a full understanding of the cult.

I think it must be a combination of the two, and that initiates can gain those insights, which might be called "mysteries" and quantified by Secret Cult Lore (or not), through experience and effort.

Just quickly, to finish off, look at the only (as far as I know, and I'm still deeply ignorant about these things) truly mysterious cult/state of mind which has been given much space in printed stuff: Illumination. These guys fit the bill from the small, weirdo, genuinely "different" and strange angle. How is Illumination 'acquired'? Instruction can be part of it, but fundamentally it is an understanding of the universe which is gained apparently, almost by chance. Some never achieve it even after years of study, so it is not merely knowledge. There is "something more", which might be ... well, any number of things really. I think I'll leave it at that, since my mind is getting blurry after this extended babble.

Just to clear up a little misunderstanding (which I keep forgetting to rectify in my signature) which some people have had (no offence taken I assure you, it happens all the time) please note my new and improved sign off :-).

P.S. It looks like the only info available on the Sambari in this forum might be that from the Home of the Bold characters. If anyone knows how I might get hold of them (say from David Hall or Kevin Jacklin - email addresses?) please, please let me know - just drop me a note. I really just want to know about their relations with their neighbours, some basic info on what those neighbours might be about, and of course the Wilmskirk Confederation.

P.P.S. If you don't have it, Questlines: A Glorantha Journeybook (for RQ Con Down Under) is a mighty useful compilation of all sorts of stuff. Pax Vobiscum

_"Mr."_ Saravan Peacock (saravan_at_perth.dialix.oz.au)

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #70