Wild Magic

From: Michael Raaterova <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 14:52:33 +0100

David:

> I think that in essence playing with magic outside a known system
>is much the same thing as creative heroquesting, its just a matter of
>degree (and I think thats the basic idea I was trying to get across - it
>should FEEL like a minor creative heroquest act, rather than just pumping
>MPs into something).

I totally agree with you. The thing with using MP (in some) is that it is necessary for all kinds of magic, but not the one and only factor. Elaborate ceremonies, weird states of mind, invocation, sacrifice and all sorts of MGF stuff must be present as well.

If you just pump a lot MP into something there will be a magical effect, but you won't have any control over it. Of course, to be able to use a lot of MP demands a 'weird state of mind'. You can't just access your inner 'otherworld' by wanting to.

A simple system for wild magic:

Sacrifice a bunch of MPs. Roll d100 below or equal to that number. If you succeed, there is a magical effect with power equal to a one-point spirit spell. Otherwise the MPs are lost.

If you want to have control over the magical effect, you must roll a special success on a ceremony roll. If the roll is only a normal success you have limited control.

The whole ceremony takes about one minute per MP sacrificed.

This is merely the bare game-mechanical bones. The ceremony must be elaborated with whatever the GM feels is appropriate.

Wild Magic cannot be very powerful, because almost all of the power is lost due to lack of finesse and control. And if there is a way to achieve finesse and control, it is no longer wild magic - it is sorcery.

End of Glorantha Digest V3 #71